Leopard geckos are one of the most popular reptile pets in the world. They are easy to take care of and make great first-time pets for kids. Here are some fun facts about these interesting creatures that you may not know.
1. The leopard gecko is a nocturnal reptile, meaning they are active at night and sleep during the day.
2. They lick their eyes to clean them just like we do! Leopard geckos can also “smell” through their tongues!
3. Although leopard geckos have regenerative tails, lost tails do not grow back.
4. They can drop their tails when they feel threatened and it will regenerate later. Sometimes the new tail is malformed and may need to be removed by a veterinarian, but sometimes it looks perfect again!
5. The leopard gecko is originally from Pakistan and India where they live in deserts that are very hot during the day and very cool at night.
6. The leopard gecko has special organs called “Jacobson’s organs” which are found on their forked tongues that help them taste what they are licking!
7. Leopard geckos do not have ears but they do sense vibrations in the ground to find prey, like insects and spiders.
8. The leopard gecko’s tail helps them to balance, store fat and communicate with other leopard geckos during mating season!
9. Leopard geckos do not get rabies but can carry a disease called “reovirus” which is usually deadly for other reptiles like snakes, turtles and lizards.
10. The leopard gecko’s scientific name is “Eublepharis macularius”. Eublepharis means true eyelids and the macularius part of the scientific name comes from a type of spot on their body called a “macula” which the leopard geckos have on their upper back feet.
11. The leopard gecko has a forked tongue which it uses to smell. This is why they sometimes appear to be licking the air!
12. A group of geckos is called a “congregation”, “court” or “herd”.
13. In the wild, females lay their eggs in holes that they dig in the ground.
14. Leopard geckos need to eat once or twice a week because their metabolism is so fast! This is why they are popular pets, as long as you can meet their nutritional needs!
15. An interesting fact about leopard gecko’s tails is that even though they may regenerate many times, if a leopard gecko loses its tail it will not be able to regulate temperature as well and may need a heat lamp in their tank!
16. When a leopard gecko eats, it blinks. This is why you should never house different species of reptiles together because one might try to eat the other’s food!
17. If a leopard gecko loses a tooth, a new one will grow in right away!
Learn about What Do Leopard Geckos Eat
18. The few times a wild leopard geckos have been observed being active during the day has been when it is raining.
19. The leopard gecko will have 100 teeth, which they will replace every three to four months.
20. A leopard gecko can live up to 20 years!
If you are interested in owning a leopard gecko, it is important to do your research before buying one. Make sure to have an appropriate sized tank for them and remember that they need heat lamps because they cannot generate their own body heat. They also need live insects to eat every once in a while because their metabolism is so fast!
Leopard geckos have been popular pets for years and it is easy to see why people love them so much. They are beautiful animals that do not require too much care or maintenance.